Basic Training Module for Chemical Management in Textile Wet Processes
The Basic Training Module for Chemical Management is a one-day training aimed at decision makers and the middle management who are responsible for production in textile factories containing wet processing units. The target of the training is to create awareness and promote basic knowledge about sound chemical management in textile supply chains, with a focus on the wet processes. It, thereby, should also be seen as a preparation for potential more advanced follow-up trainings. Because of this introducing character, the training might be also of interest to employees from brands who are responsible for compliance, quality assurance, or purchase.
The training is structured in a modular fashion, consisting of six modules covering all relevant aspects of the textile environmental and chemical management. Depending of the context and specific needs, it is, therefore, possible to exclude certain modules from the training. While the total time of the training should not exceed one day, a broader impact can be achieved by targeting important multiplier and first-tier producers.
The trainings are held in a classroom format and also include practical examples and exercise to engage the participants. Covered topics are chemical management systems, international compliance frameworks, occupational safety, and also wastewater and sludge treatment. Excluded are the subjects of gaseous emissions, treatment of solid waste and climate change.
Content and Targets
1 Chemicals in Textiles - Why you should be aware
- Introducing the subject of chemical management
- Showing what environmental and health problems can be caused by chemicals in textile production
- Highlighting the agency of the producers in improving chemical handling and preventing adverse effects.
2 Chemical Management
- Familiarize with the framework of chemicals management, concept and elements
- Buyer expectations and requirements (current and outlook)
- Typical chemical management requirements
- Requirements regarding chemical inventories
3 Good Housekeeping
- Familiarize with the concept of Good Housekeeping
- Developing good chemical management practices
- Improve chemical handling, labelling, and storage
- Chemical waste handling
- Improve productivity
4 Wastewater and Sludge Treatment
- Familiarize with the problems of water scarcity and pollution of the waterbodies in the producing countries.
- Introducing production integrated solutions of the entire water management in the textile wet processes
- Overview of processes, used chemicals and the available wastewater and sludge treatment techniques
- Options for reuse of treated wastewater
- International compliance
5 Health Protection and Occupational Safety
- Control exposure and releases
- Select and use personal protective equipment
- Providing training, procedures and instructions to employees
- Plan and prepare for chemical emergencies
- Chemical fires and Explosions
6 Risk Analysis and Action Planning
- Assessing hazardous chemicals
- Identify chemicals, processes of concerns as well as gaps and losses in current processes (e.g. hotspots)
- Process for verifying compliance
- Formulate performance goals and action plans
- Managing performance indicators
- Assign roles and assessing training.
7 Evaluation and Possible Next Steps
- Evaluation of the Basic Trainings
Total time up to 6h
Phase of intervention
Operating SIA, Management, Resource efficiency
Level of intervention
Company, SME, Industrial area management and operator, Local and international consultant and advisor